The US is a country that many international students dream of to pursue their education. The Master of International Management (MIM) program at Portland State University is one program which international students are interested in and apply for. Prospective students can apply to the MIM program every year, but all students start the program only in fall term.
International students who would like to apply to the program have to take the TOEFL or IELTS and GMAT or GRE tests which are the necessary test for applying to any business school in the US. There are two options for taking the TOEFL test for international students. First, the PSU Institutional TOEFL test which is a paper based system. Applicants to Portland State may take an Institutional TOEFL on campus and it is offered on campus several times each year: one week prior to the beginning of fall term; and midway through fall, winter, and spring terms. Applicants need to contact the Office of Admission for exact test dates and registration information.
Second, International TOEFL test scores are valid worldwide. The minimum overall score of 80 iBT and a minimum sub score of 18 iBT in reading and writing part are required. Applicants can visit the TOEFL web site (www.toefl.org) for information about testing and ordering score reports.
I would include some more information here about what makes IELTS different. For the minimum overall scores for IELTS are 6.5 with 6.5 in reading and writing part. Applicants can visit the IELTS web site (www.ielts.org) for information about testing and ordering score reports.
GMAT or GRE testing is also necessary. All applicants must complete the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) and provide official scores to Portland State. However, students who have taken or who have planned to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) may submit GRE score instead of GMAT scores. GMAT and GRE scores are only valid for five years. For GMAT test preparation and appointment information, go here. Also, for the GRE test, applicants can visit the website (http://www.ets.org/gre) for more information.
To apply to the program International Applicants need:
- Completed PSU Graduate Application form and online MIM application. For the MIM application, you need to submit a current resume and answer two short essays. Also, paying $50 USD for application fee which is non- refundable. (The fee is valid for one year. You can pay by credit card, check or money order made out to Portland State University).
- Submit two (2) official transcripts from each college or university attended. One sends to Office of Admissions & Records. Another one sends to MIM Program, School of Business Administration. Your transcripts should reflect the equivalent of a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and send from the issuing institution by sealed envelopes. A minimum GPA for undergraduate is 2.75 and 3.00 for graduate.
- Submit Two (2) Letters of Recommendation: There are three ways to submit letters of recommendation: 1. through the online MIM Application, 2. by mailing a signed and sealed envelope to the Graduate Business Programs Office, 3. by having the recommender email the attached letter to email@example.com. The email must come directly from the recommender and cannot be forwarded by the applicant or a third party.
- Official GMAT or GRE Score Report: The GMAT program code for the MIM program is WG0-NF-37 and The GRE program codes for the MIM program is 7476.
- TOEFL or IELTS score.
- Vaccination Form; this form is not required until after admission has been granted, therefore you will not need to provide it for your initial admissions review. However, you will need to provide this form and show proof of your MMR vaccinations before you can register for classes.
- Immigration Fact Sheet.
- Certified English translation of transcripts and diplomas.
- Financial Certification of $54,725 USD: It is required for applicants who want to study in US and hold the F1 or J1 Visa. You must show proof of adequate financial support for at least the first year of study at Portland State University by submitting the statement of Financial Support and declaration of Finances.
Last but not least, the most important thing for applying is the application deadline. There are three rounds for applying to the program. For 2012, the application deadlines are November 1, 2011 for the first round, February 1, 2012 for the second round and May 1, 2012 for the third round.
Be prepared and become a part of MIM students!!