It is easy for busy graduate students to forget to make time in their schedules to exercise. Students are too busy exercising their brains and sometimes forget that it is also important to exercise their bodies. However, with the Portland State University Student Rec Center RIGHT ON CAMPUS (the building on the corner of SW 6th and SW Harrison) it is hard to make excuses not to visit the gym.
Feel good about working in the Student Rec Center. The facility was completed exactly one year ago. It is a Gold LEED certified building, which makes it only one of a handful of its type in the United States. LEED certified buildings are constructed as green as possible and keep five areas of human and environmental health in mind: sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality.
Why should students take advantage of the Student Rec Center? Because all students have already paid for a membership to the gym with student-fees. If you do not go, you are not taking advantage of your pre-paid gym membership! It is otherwise of “no cost” for current students to use the gym facilities. All current students need to do is show up and hand over your student ID. *NOTE: bring your own towel for work out use and showering and your own lock for locker use.
The facilities include:
- two-court gymnasium with a synthetic floor gymnasium equipped with dasher boards for floor hockey and indoor soccer
- 1/11 mile, three lane running track
- a large cardiovascular and weight training facility
- 2 multi-purpose group fitness suites
- an aquatic complex including a lap pool and whirlpool spa (YES! A whirlpool!!!)
- locker rooms with shower facilities (you must provide your own lock for day-use of lockers)
- a bouldering wall
- working space for student clubs and intramurals
- retail space
- a large lounge area
- Outdoor Program offices and gear rental located on the ground floor
For Campus Rec schedule and hours click HERE